Pages

Friday, December 14, 2018

Arrival: Day 13




December 13, 2018

“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”
Isaiah 9:6 ESV

Why a baby? Why would God choose to use the littlest and helpless of creation to display His glory? To display himself? I think often, especially in our current society, we are constantly seeking bigger and better. As if the only way to experience true joy is to have the best of everything. Yet even the Creator didn’t have the best. In fact He had what we would call the worst. A smelly stable, no real bed, and a soon-to-be exile on the run from Herod. This Christmas season, I wonder if maybe my heart desires the best instead of Bethlehem? I wonder if I would be comfortable with just some hay to lay on as long as I’m next to my Savior? I wonder if I think I deserve the Jesus who comes with a sword at the end before I spend time at His manger and appreciate that He did come as a baby. 

The beauty of this perfect baby being born through an imperfect woman gives us hope.
Hope that even the filthiest of our sins and the filthiest of places didn’t stop Him from coming and it did not change His glory and goodness. I pray that I would desire Bethlehem this Christmas and all that comes with it, if only to glimpse my Savior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment