Pages

Friday, December 14, 2018

Arrival: Day 12


December 12, 2018

“And Mary said, "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.”
Luke 1:46-49 

The holiday season has a way of bringing out many emotions within us that we may not even know we are capable of. I find myself feeling entitled often around the Christmas season. Entitled to my idea of what my holiday season should look like, and if it doesn’t turn out the way I envisioned I become angry! Entitlement is an evil thing stemming from a root of selfishness even though I don’t want to admit it my heart has been tangled up with it a lot lately. 

Mary’s heart holds no entitlement but rather she has given her title away. Instead the only thing she calls herself is a “humble servant.” And she voices the most beautiful part of her story, the fact that the God of the universe, the one who made the moon and stars, looked upon her. She realizes how unworthy she is of this calling but she also recognizes the overwhelming Grace shown to her as God HAS chosen her for this! There is no selfishness in her heart, no feelings of entitlement, but instead she has given all of herself for His glory no matter the outcome. 


This Christmas season, I hope to release all of my feelings of entitlement and selfishness. Because God doesn’t look graciously upon them. Instead His face is turned towards the ones who come before his throne offering nothing except their whole life. Loving Christ with your heart, soul, mind, and strength means keeping nothing back from Him and realizing that He has looked upon us, his humble and undeserving servants, and said “I love you, all of you, even the unlovable pieces.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment