Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2018

The Joyful Moments

I had someone ask me the other day if I was "happy" here in Japan. Maybe because of my last blog or maybe just because they were curious... but in all honesty it took me by surprise. I honestly haven't even asked myself that question! But immediately before I could even think about it, my response was "of course I am!" You see, I don't want to forget any part of this journey... every day is completely new and a learning experience in itself. From paying my first bill to finding the post office, I'm figuring this new "life" out, and the only way for me to remember it is to write it all down. The only way for me to fully process everything that's happening around me is to attempt to put it into words. 


So even though I'd like to be able to explain all of the reasons why I'm happy here, that would require you following me around for a day to experience the things that I experience. But what I can share with you goes even beyond happiness and it's pure joy. 

 I find that joy as I finally get to my bed after a long day and I realize that I am in the exact place God has asked me to be. 
I find that joy in the moments where I am riding my bike to a new place to meet new people (which is completely out of my comfort zone) and I realize that HE is with me. 
I find that joy as I watch my friends experience church for the first time. 
I find that joy in the quiet where all I have is His presence. 
I find that joy in the smiles of the Japanese people that my Savior loves enough to have died for them. 


Sometimes life hurts and circumstances are difficult, but that's not because I live in Japan... that's because I'm a sinful human living in a sinful world. This new life that I'm navigating is so different from anything I've ever done that sometimes I feel as if I'm an alien. But even that feeling is not unique to me, many others have gone before me as strangers and exiles in a foreign land. Quite honestly, we should all feel as if we are just strangers on this earth as we set our eyes upon Jesus and the place we were really made for: eternity. This heavenly place that we were created for is not the reality that we live in, instead this reality is but a breath and fades quickly and I've realized that recently more than I ever have before. BUT, when our eyes are focused on Jesus as our hand holds His hand and we follow wherever He leads, the eternal joy that awaits us somehow enters into our reality. The promise of perfection will be fulfilled when we reach eternity with Him... but the promise of full, unwavering, unending joy is something that we can obtain RIGHT NOW. 

" You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever."- Psalm 16:11

“These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” - John 15:11


No comments:

Post a Comment